Orenco Church is rich in history, and in June of 2009, we celebrated our 100th anniversary! In May of 1909, a small group of people met at the home of Archibald McGill to discuss the possibility of organizing a Presbyterian church. Plans were made. The group met with representatives of the Portland Presbytery in the Orenco Hall (above the old Orenco store), and the church was formed.
Mr. and Mrs. Archibald and Blanche McGill; Mrs.Josey Brixey; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Goodin; Mr. and Mrs. Guy and Grace Thrapp; Mr. and Mrs. Charles and Kathrine Thrapp; Mr. and Mrs. Edward and Lizzie Mincemoyer; Mr. and Mrs. Phillip and Julia Olson; Miss Helen Olson; Mr.and Mrs. Edwin and Louise Catlin; Mr. Bossom Mitchell. These were the organizing members of the Orenco Presbyterian Church (our former building is pictured left), chartered on June 1,1909. These seventeen people came together, sensing God’s call to form a church body in the fledgling little company town, based on the Oregon Nursery Company(OreNCo).
Their aim was to establish a place where townspeople could come and worship together. Their hopes and dreams came true.